The combat-proven F/A-18 Hornet is a twin-engine, multi-mission, tactical aircraft. It converts between air-to-air fighter missions and air-to-ground strike missions while on the same sortie with the flick of a switch. Currently serving the armed services of eight nations, the F/A-18 fulfills the following types of assignment: fighter escort, suppression of enemy air defenses, reconnaissance, forward air control, close air support, and day and night strike missions.
Designed to reduce life-cycle costs, the F/A-18 is available in two models and possesses the following characteristics.
- Seating capacity/crew options:
- Model F/A-18A: one-seat (pilot-only)
- Model F/A-18B: two-seats (one for the pilot and one for the weapons/sensor officer [WSO])
- Dimensions: length 56 ft (17.1 m), wing span 40 ft (12.3 m), height 15.3 ft (4.7 m)
- Propulsion: two F404-GE-402 engines, each with 18,000 pounds of thrust
- Combat radius: 500+ nm (900+ km)